Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Creed: Embracing the Nostalgia


As I grew up in the suburbs of Philly, I have long been a sucker for Rocky movies.  This new movie was more than a Rocky movie, but as a Rocky movie, it certainly scratched that itch.  I do have some questions raised by the movie (spoilers below the break):


  • Was the last time I was at the Philly Art Museum when I was as a valet, parking cars at an event there?  
  • What was Bianca, the singer that Donny was in love with, thinking when she ordered mayo and other stuff on her steak sandwich?
  • The bad guy in the movie was an English fighter.  English?  Really?  Sure, he was super-obnoxious, but a big come down from the good old days of Mr. T and the Russian.
  • Rocky bounced back from chemo pretty quickly, but then again, he is Rocky.

Sly was very good, which should not surprise people.  He can be very good with the right material.  No one is surprised by Michael B. Jordan.  He is always good.  The movie hit all the right beats in terms of the training montages, the fights, the music, the arc of Adonis, Rocky's reluctance, etc. 

Creed will not be my favorite movie of the week, I am pretty sure, but it was nice prep for getting in the 1976-77 mindset again.  

No comments: