Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hurt Locker backlash

Inevitable, of course.  And then next stage is the backlash against the backlash.  Perhaps we simply have too much media, all competing to make the most noise. 

Hurt Locker is an incredibly tense depiction of one part of the war.  Is it an accurate portrayal of Iraq?  Of bomb squads?  No.  Does it give us some degree of empathy for the stresses of modern urban warfare.  Yes, yes it does.  Was it well acted? Well-written?  Well-shot?  Well-directed?  Yes.  Was it completely realistic?  No. 

But it was the one movie of the past year when I had no thought besides what was in front of me.  Avatar was a fine movie, but I thought about other things besides the movie and I thought about the making of the movie.  Hurt Locker just sucked me in.  The last time I was that tense for that long?  Job talks don't last that long.  Birth of Spew Jr?  Nope, that ebbed and flowed with the contractions.  Wedding?  Nope, too much rain.  First car date?  Maybe. 

No comments: