Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Aussie-land, Day 6

Just catching up on stuff before heading out for interviews with some very interesting folks--or people with interesting jobs or both.

So, some more quick thoughts:
  • No kangaroos spotted but only because I have not ventured outside of the city.  Apparently, they are everywhere, more common than deer, in the suburbs and beyond.
  • Speaking of roos, the Afghans apparently identify the Aussies by their patch--the bouncing dog as the Afghans identify them.
  • North America--standard breakfast buffet has scrambled eggs.  Here, poached. At least at this hotel.  First poached eggs I have had since I was 12?
  • Strange contradiction--one of the lead stories in today's paper is that a key cricket player may lose his captaincy because of problematic relations with his fiance but the sports section in the paper is very thin. 
  • Finally realized that one of the channels I get in my hotel consists of old rugby/etc.  ESPN classic in the US is something that is not exactly standard.  What does this mean?  I have no clue.  
  • Small world.  I interviewed a senator yesterday who was interviewed earlier in the day by another Canadian-based political scientist, a friend of mine who used to work in Montreal.  Perhaps Australia is to Canadian political scientists (did I just refer to myself as Canadian?!) what Florida is to the Quebec snowbird types---a place to escape winter. 
  • And, of course, the one time I do escape winter for a few weeks by going south of the equator, winter in Montreal is an incredibly mild one.  

No comments: