Saturday, March 6, 2010

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Day 1 (updated with some pics)

After a long couple of days of space and time travel, I am now a day ahead, having skipped Friday entirely.

Canberra reminds me a lot of San Diego.  Similar trees, some of the houses look the same--spanish tile roofs, and the Parliament building has aspects that are similar to the IR buildings at UCSD (the School of International Relations and Pacific Studies and the Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation.

The first real clue that I am in a foreign land--not the accents--but the birds.  The birds here make different noises and look different--black with white spots.




First big irony, probably intended: next to the Old Parliament Building is a big statue of King George and next to that are tents and signs, protesting the treatment of Aborigines.  So, we have next to each other a tribute to imperialism and a protest of it.

And first Aussie phrase--"He's got the rough end of the pineapple."  from rugby coverage.  And no, I don't think I will have a better understanding of Rugby by the time I leave.

No comments: